In a previous article we mentioned several reasons why it is so important to humans regular, daily exercise. One of the simplest forms of movement is walking.
Walking with support sticks / poles known as Nordic Walking is beneficial for many reasons and can be applied to different age or target group. Nordic Walking is involved up to 90% of the muscles throughout the body. For example for sedentary people is an important movement of the hand and arm with a stick, which helps mobilize stiff neck and trapezius muscle game.
Nordic Walking further benefits:
- Lowers high blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- It helps to regulate weight, prevents diabetes and certain cancers – e.g. colon
- Reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke
- Improves bone density and help prevent osteoporosis
- It helps reduce feelings of anxiety, the feeling of euphoria
- Contributes to a better oxygenation of the brain, improves memory
- Enhances creativity and problem-solving skills
- Involved in the movement of 90% of the muscles in the body
- Relieves muscle tension in the back and shoulder muscles
- Significantly increases the mobility of the spine
- Saves your knees and joints and reduces the burden of overweight persons
- Increases the body’s calorie consumption due to movement with poles compared to normal walking an average of 20%
MD. Josef Štolfa, Head of the Department of Medicine at the Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education adds: “Nordic Walking positively affects the most serious illnesses caused by aging, such as atherosclerosis, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, pain syndromes skeletal spine, ischemic heart disease, hypertension (high blood pressure ) and other diseases or diseases associated with aging. ”
Právě teď! o.p.s., as the main partner of the project, only this year he organized more than a hundred Nordic Walking Lessons, especially for seniors from Prague.
Author: Hana Čepová, Právě teď! o.p.s